The Bulls played a home game for the first time in the 2001 BSL, when they improved to 3-2 by beating a hard-working but ultimately outgunned Senators side. The visitors ran the Bulls close, particularly in the first half, holding the Bulls to a slim 7-0 lead, but when QB Dave Winter found his range after the interval, Birmingham racked up 33 second half points, including two safeties and the winning margin eventually reflected the difference between the teams. Although the Senators drop to 5-2, they are still on course for the play-offs, whereas Birmingham still have work to do to secure a post-season place.

Gateshead made the better start and threatened when U.S. import Larry Mann found Ian Mullins on a half back option pass for 33 yards, but the Bulls defence held and forced the Senators into a 36-yard field goal attempt that Gary Marshall sliced wide right. The deadlock was broken near the end of the 1st quarter when Bulls fullback Will Powell drove in from 4 yards out. Nick Burt's PAT gave Birmingham a 7-0 lead. The 8-play, 69-yard drive was keyed by a 39-yard run around left end by Paul Duncan, whose 136 rushing yards on the day gave the Bulls a clear edge.

Powell's score was the only one of the first half, the second quarter being dominated by the respective defences. The Senators were held to only 8 offensive yards in the quarter, but Birmingham were unable to capitalise.

Although a long Bulls drive early in the second half petered out, a well-placed punt by Mark Cohen pinned Gateshead on their own 8-yard line. Veteran Ken 'Spats' Lewis sacked QB Lee Fraser on 1st Down, then Mark Connolly trapped Fraser in the endzone for the safety and a 9-0 lead. Birmingham took the free kick and, again using Paul Duncan's running, drove into Gateshead territory, where Duncan was rewarded by running in from 11 yards out. Now facing a 16-0 deficit, the Senators did themselves no favours by fumbling on their first offensive play after the score, RB Michael Thompson dropping Fraser's pitch-out. Connolly recovered to set up the Bulls on the Gateshead 13, from where Sharif Omar ran in untouched to begin the final quarter.

On their subsequent drive, Gateshead at last began to threaten. Mann returned the kick-off for 32 yards, then held a Fraser pass for 29 more. The drive appeared to stall when Fraser was sacked on successive plays, setting up 4th and 30, but a lofted Fraser pass was held by Mullins for a 1st down, and Fraser then hit his tight end from 6 yards to break the shut-out. Again, though, they slipped up when Marshall's kick-off drifted out of bounds. Bulls QB Dave Winter began to find his receivers, and first hit his tight end for 29 yards, then found Mark Cohen in stride for a 26 yard score. The Bulls defence stole the ball again on the Senators
subsequent possession, Larry Mann being stripped of the ball as he ran out of running room, but the Bulls were unable to take advantage as Winter's pass was intercepted by Senators DB Mark Lindsey. However, this time Gateshead made another crucial error when a shotgun snap sailed over Fraser's head and through the End Zone for second Bulls safety.

Winter was again picked off on the Bulls next possession and this time Gateshead did take advantage, Fraser again finding his tight end for the score, cutting the Bulls lead to 32-12. This time the Bulls replied instantly, fielding Marshall's on-side kick, then allowing Winter to throw a perfect pass to Cohen for a 25 yard TD. Again the reply was immediate when Mann gained some reward for his tremendous play on the day by fielding Nick Burt's kickoff and returning it 70 yards to complete the scoring. During the game, Mann had caught 5 passes for 56 yards, thrown a pass for 33 yards, returned punts and gained 139 yards on kick returns, including his TD, giving him 225 all-purpose yards on the day. For the Bulls, Mark Cohen caught 3 passes for 60 yards and two scores, and Mark Connolly registered 2.5 sacks and a safety.

The win gets the Bulls season back on track after successive on-field defeats against East Kilbride and London O's. Their next game is the return against London this Sunday. The venue is a change from the Bulls usual home, the match taking place at Moor Lane Sports Centre, kicking off at 2.30.