5th November 2000


The London O's completed a memorable double as their youth kitted team joined their senior team as British champions. London's adult team clinched the British senior League crown in September's BritBowl, and touchdowns from Luke Smith, Marvin Allen and Paul Rush ensured the O's kids followed in their footsteps.

Although the Londoners have been the dominant British senior side over the past decade, this was the junior team's first final and first championship.

In winning their first title, the O's halted the Wolverines, who were playing in their 5th BYAFA YKL final.

The wet and stormy conditions made it hard for both offenses to get going early on, with Lancashire puntin gon their first two possessions.

The O's finally got going on their second drive when quarterback Smith just failed to connect with wide receiver Graham Walby on what would have been a 40 yard touchdown strike.

London had to take the field goal, but the Wolverines came up big to block the 2 point attempt.

The O's began to take control on the ground in the second quarter with Allen, Brett Rosenbaum and rookie Khamar Mohammed advancing the ball down to the Wolverines two.

On first and second down, the O's were denied the short plunge into the endzone, but SMith bootlegged his way into the endzone on third down, with the slightly injured Andy Boyle making the extra two, giving London an 8-0 advantage at half-time.

Lancashire took their own second half kickoff back to the O's 30 yard line after the O's thought the ball had sailed out of bounds, but the London defense again made it difficult and got the ball back with the Wolverines failing to gain any significant headway.

By this time, London's offensive line, led by Graham Day, Steve Hopkins and Steve Clements, were all able to create big holes for London's dominant runners, but the drive ended with a missed field goal.

The O's defense, led by Darren Gregory, was also in top form, forcing numerous fumbles and keeping pressure on the Lancashire backfield.

London finally broke the game open in the final period, with Allen adding to his 100 yard day by rushing in from 5 yards. The extra point miss kept the score at 14-0.

Lancashire then put their best drive of the game together, reaching the O's five. However, they were then pushed back to the 20.

Gregory hit the Lancashire QB's arm as he threw on a desperation fourth down play, however, and cornerback Rush intercepted the ball and ran 80 yards for the clinching score, with Boyle's double making it 22-0 at the end.

"Both teams were outstanding and we must also thank the officials for playing their part in atrocious weather," said a London O's spokesman. "They kept the game moving and were outstanding."